Curiouser and Curiouser!

Coyness can stop you from saying all the things in life you want to.

30 June 2005

Shoutout


It occurred to me today that I have not spent nearly enough time lauding my school chums. Which is a very strange thing because they are omnipresent in my life and my thoughts. So this is the Official Law School Friends Post, long overdue and likely very inadequate. The thing is that I believe they have absolutely no idea just how important they are to me. I could just see that conversation:

Me: Hey guys, have a seat a minute. I want to tell you something.
Granville: Okaaaay (insert witty pun)
Billy: Oh God, you're not going to tell us you love us or anything, are you?
Me: Well, yes, actually. That's exactly what I was going to do.
Justin: [Dismissive wave of the hand; probably leaves at this point]
Me: I just didn't want another day to go by without telling y'all how much you mean to me.
[Dix and Gussio roll eyes]

Etc, etc. Anna would believe me. Shawn would make fun of me. Anuj would make a really really bad joke. And it would all be perfect because this is exactly why I love these people. We share social ineptitude and a fear of Prof. Coenen (except for Billy who I think believes he has gotten Coenen all figured out). We manage to get really sick of each other and remain friends at the same time. How awesome is that?

I came to law school more or less convinced that it would be a mass of sorostitutes and frat-tastics and that I would slink around the edges of law school life unnoticed or, worse, universally despised. Lucky for me Anna noticed me wearing my Gardner Linn Fan Club t-shirt and we discovered that we have that in common (love and affection for one Gardner Linn). Soon I was in a little club with her and Chris (who I met while polluting my lungs back in my smoking days). You cannot imagine my delight. Friends! It wasn't long before Anna and I found our way to the library table of Granville, Shawn, and Justin. Chris passed his time in the Annex, a place to which Anna and I just could not bring ourselves to follow him. The library crew expanded to include Billy, Anuj, Dix, Gussio, and Ryan and we never looked back.

So this is my official thank you to all those I met in law school. When I say you were my rock, it is, quite possibly, the biggest understatement of my life. You were the reason I maintained a (tenuous) grasp on my sanity. You were the reason I managed to convince myself to come to school every day. So dismiss it if you want, but I love you all very very much. I know that there is a distinct possibility that we will sort of part company this next year or the year after. But even if that is the case, I will consider all of you friends for life and you will always be welcome to crash on my couch.

2 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, I do think I have Coenen figured out.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhm, just finally read your blog more carefully and found this posting..which, considering I am currently in Brussels made me miss everyone even more!!! Thanks Amy!! Seriously though...I do completely understand and believe you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home