Curiouser and Curiouser!

Coyness can stop you from saying all the things in life you want to.

07 July 2005

Contestant No. Seven: Serena Williams

I was going to go with Maria Sharapova on this one, and I'm willing to listen to arguments that I made the incorrect decision, but I'm just so mightily impressed with Serena Williams that I felt it would be quite remiss of me not to include her. She was 17 years old when she won her first Grand Slam singles title at the U.S. Open in 1999, and she has continued to be dominant since, winning the French Open and Wimbledon in 2002 and the Australian Open in 2003 and 2005. And that's not even all of them. Not to mention that she won many of these titles at the expense of sister Venus (who, to her credit, just won Wimbledon), from whom she stole the No. 1 rank. I don't think I'm alone in saying that Venus and Serena have completely altered the game of women's tennis forever, I think Serena more so than Venus, even if Venus did come first. The level of athleticism she displays and the aggressiveness of her game basically demand that opponents attempt to match them. Serena is a catalyst for progress in both the perception of women's sports and in the sports themselves.

7 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great choice! she is amazingly amazonian and i love her for it. watching her play tennis did indeed revolutionize the game because of the sheer force that she brings to the court. yea, serena!

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serena is without doubt an incredible tennis player.

That said, I have to invoke the (unrecognized but implied by natural law) guy veto and say that she's not beautiful.

But I've heard from other guys that she is, so what do I know?

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would call her . . . hmmmm . . . statuesque. Yes, that's a good word.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger LatNam said...

Once upon a time if you Googled my name and looked at images there was a picture of her there. No longer, but yeah. Google thinks I look like her(or it used to). Take from that what you will.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious? As far as the history of women's tennis goes, Anna Kournikova is by far more influential. She raised viewership and interest in the sport way more than the Williams' sisters. Plus, I am glad to see that you are differentiating between male and female tennis, since athletes should also be divided into their respective gender roles. For example, Mia Hamm is a good female soccer player but her small candle pales in comparison to the massive solar body that is David Backham.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Amy said...

as for anna kournikova, well let's just say that serena williams manages to WIN her games. as for the rest of your small-minded and incendiary comment, well, i shake my fist at you.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are Serena's boobs really that big? They make me uncomfortable . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home