Curiouser and Curiouser!

Coyness can stop you from saying all the things in life you want to.

15 August 2005

The Official End of Summer?

Well, the last of my summer ultimate outlets has officially come and gone. The Atlanta Summer League End of Season Tournament was this weekend with Afternoon Delight making an impressive, if not victorious showing once again. We made it to semi-finals where we lost a heartbreaker to Really Really Ridiculously Good-looking Team by one point. I half-way blame the quarters game for the loss. We beat Toast by one after coming back from a 10-6 deficit. That game really wore out our studs, unfortunately. Plus RRRGT has the fastest women. Ever. And I'm not fast in any universe. So, sucky for us. But we got to watch a really good finals game between RRRGT and Fun Bags, who eventually won.

Highlights of the weekend:
1) Chadtrey's Greatest on Saturday at an absolutely critical juncture
2) Me actually managing to throw two successful hucks (one flick, one backhand) during the semifinals
3) Frank's layout catch of a dump pass on D
4) Me throwing grass at one of the girls from Toast when she fouled the crap out of me
5) Same girl whispering in my ear for the rest of the point that if I can't run faster than her I should get off the field
6) Dino's amazing one-inch-off-the-ground grab of one of the crappiest throws I've ever let rip
7) Not getting hit by lightning
8) Putting straws/napkin/cup in the back pants pocket of the dude at The Local
9) Roching E to flirt with Prior while waiting for Hensley to finally stop cramping in the middle of a point
10) Watching Moxie dominate Dallas (who was previously undominated and a boy)

Oh! I should also mention that I made quite the showing in the PBR Mile last Thursday. Unfortunately, I did not manage to win, thereby costing Joel Wooten $2.00 or so. But, to my credit, I did get the fourth beer down before booting on the first bit of the track. For the uninformed, the PBR Mile consists of shotgunning a PBR tallboy, running a quartermile, then repeating three more times. So I got all the way to the end and my little tummy couldn't take anymore. I got totally shown up by this girl from Whiffle Ball. She was maybe a buck twenty and came in second to the reigning champion. Oh, and she'd never shotgunned a beer before. Lucky schmuck. Well, the first beer of the Mile was only the third I had ever done. I don't care what anyone says. I'm very proud of myself. And I put Ernie "Mountain of a Man" Strauss's (he's the one in blue) record the first time out to shame. So there. I can drink like a man. My parents are very proud.

And that's that. It's to class with me tomorrow and back to being a real person as a sad byproduct. What will I do without ultimate? I basically hung up my cleats for two years and I was not okay. I don't want that to happen again, so I'm hoping for the best with IP, my mixed team. We're off to Shawn Adams for Labor Day weekend where I hope we will make a good showing. And with that tournament, I am relegated to scraping my ultimate off the sidewalk instead of scooping it out of the bin by the handful. Sigh. I miss my embarrassment of riches.

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok seriously, will my loft ever make one of your "highlight lists" from AFDC tournaments? You talk big when you're here, but once you're back in the real world . . .

But seriously- seriously- if laughing to the point of uncontrollable crying at oblivious-guy-with-a-napkin-and-a-plastic-cup-hanging-on-4-straws-from-his-back-pocket is wrong, I want to be wrong a whole lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home